Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Vegetarianism: Its Health Benefits and Concerns



I am featuring this article because a good friend of mine asked me if I can write a post with regards to a diet that she is following. She told me she had been a vegetarian for 9 years.
To my good friend Cham, here is your diet...
A diet based on eating plant-based foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, cereal grains, seeds, and with or without milk products and eggs. This is Vegetarianism. Although many of the vegans ( people who are vegetarians) do not eat fish, shellfish, shrimps, lobsters, and other products like pork and beef, some do eat eggs and dairy products coupled with honey. Most vegans eat eggs and consume dairy products. Lacto-vegetarianism includes milk but not eggs, while ovo-vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy. There is also another type of vegetarianism wherein the person eats both eggs and milk products.
Vegetarianism does not only include eating any fruits, veggies, and other plant products as long as it's not meat. Including a wide array of foods and having enough calories to produce energy, are very essential.

Factors include such as:
1. Keeping your intake of fatty foods and sweets to a minimum. These are rich in empty calories.
2. Choose whole wheat or unrefined grains if possible. You can also use fortified cereal products.
3. If you drink milk products, choose those fat-free/nonfat, or low fat varieties.
4. Consume a variety of fruits and vegetables especially those ones rich in vitamins A and C.
5. Eggs are high in cholesterol (213 mg per yolk), so eat in moderation. Limit your egg consumption to no more than 300 mg per day.

Many people are vegetarians because of several reasons. One is for economic reasons like meat is costly in some countries, another is for ethical issues like being advocates to animal rights, and some for health reasons. So what are the reported health benefits of Vegetarianism?

The Benefits:

  • It lowers risks of cancer, ischaemic heart disease
  • Reduces risks of heart diseases, & osteoporosis
  • Lowers saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein
  • High in fibre, magnesium, potassium, folate, antioxidants
  • Decreases blood pressure, lowers risks of acquiring type 2 diabetes, decreases risks of renal diseases, dementia, and Alzheimer's disease

Now what are the concerns then?

Before deciding to become a vegetarian yourself, it is recommended that you consult a registered dietitian first in order he/she can design a personalized diet for you that are rich in essential nutrients and vitamins. The diet must be balanced and equipped with the right portion of nutrients and essential minerals especially for those teenagers who are in their growing-up years. It is always better to think first, and research before deciding to practice Vegetarianism.

Sources:

http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/vegetarian.html

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4777

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian_diet



2 comments:

  1. hi rj, thanks for this posting. I will just correct about the 4 yrs being a vegetarian. I started 2000 so thats 9 yrs last May of being a vegetarian. I am actually lacto-ovo vegetarian. I can still eat eggs and drink milk but not daily. I have consulted an alternative doctor regarding this matter while practicing yoga at the same time. It did have health benefits on me. There was no day or time that I will not be suffering from stomach problems before. I can't even eat raw food, it should be cooked and processed well. I don't have problems with fish and chicken but I took them out of my system as well to be a vegetarian, especially red meat(pig meat,goat meat,etc.)Not to mention seafoods that I am already allergic into it since childhood. Some may not understand why choosing this diet because they did not suffer as much as I did of eating any kind of food. I maybe "maarte" in my diet but that's the best choice I have to stay healthy and active.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi cham, i stand corrected. Do not worry I will change the number of years you have been a vegetarian. Actually I like your diet, if I could just have the will to do it. I am slowly eating my way to a diet composed mostly of veggies and fruits. You are right, I feel so light and healthy.

    ReplyDelete